Photo Credit: Mercy Corps
After viewing the webinar recording below, please spare a few seconds of your time to help us make these webinars even better. Many thanks!
Resources shared in this webinar
- Presentation slides
- Global Findex database 2017
- What is M-Pesa?
- McKinsey Global Institute article: How digital finance could boost growth in emerging economies
In June 2019, Facebook announced a new global currency built on blockchain - Libra. The Libra coin and the underlying blockchain will be managed by the Libra Association, a non-profit membership organization founded by 28 organizations across payment, technology, telecommunication, online marketplaces, venture capital, and nonprofit organizations (Mercy Corps, Kiva, Women’s World Banking, and Creative Destruction Lab).
While Libra may be new, digital currencies have been around for more than a decade and an increasing number of agencies have been exploring where they fit into the technology toolkit. Most efforts to-date have focused on various aspects of financial inclusion, particularly cash transfer programming. Additionally, a number of agencies have taken exploratory steps in crypto philanthropy, that is, incorporating new methods of fund raising that leverage digital currencies.
As nonprofits begin evaluating digital currencies like Libra for humanitarian and development contexts, several of the organizations who have began exploring digital currency for their work will share their perspectives on a number of questions, including:
- How are digital currencies affecting nonprofit sector?
- What are the pros and cons of digital currencies like Libra for international development?
- What will be the impact of Libra on the humanitarian and development programs (e.g. cash transfer, remittances, credit records)?
If you’d like to pre-submit questions for the panel discussion, please email Leila Toplic.
Note: This webinar is intended to prepare NetHope Global Summit participants for the conversations that will occur at the Summit, including:
- Tuesday, October 22 Financial Inclusion in the Age of DLT and Digital Currencies
- Thursday, October 24 Cryptophilanthropy: Exploring New Ways of Giving
Leila Toplic, Lead for Emerging Technologies at NetHope
Ric Shreves, Director, Emerging Technology, Mercy Corps
Matthew Davie, Chief Strategy Officer, Kiva
Stephen Chiu, Director, Global Treasury, World Vision International
Michael Duggan, CIO, Oxfam