In the first three webinars in the AI Ethics webinar series, we focused on responsible innovation and how to design ethical AI solutions and programs. In order to have ethical AI solutions, we first need the organizations developing and using those solutions to be ethical and responsible. In Part IV, we will explore how ethical considerations are integrated into organizational culture and processes, and how to design responsible organizations.
Technology companies such as Microsoft and IBM are important stakeholders in ethical and responsible design and use of AI solutions, and they’ve been working on designing their own organizations and ecosystems to be more responsible. In recent years, some technology companies have developed ethical principles and frameworks as mechanisms to highlight important issues, and to guide the design and use of AI technologies in ways that are ethically, socially, and environmentally responsible. But those principles and frameworks are only as effective and impactful as the organizations’ ability to operationalize them across the whole system—the teams they hire, what problems they choose to solve, the processes they use to incentivise the use of those principles and frameworks, with whom they partner, and more.
In this webinar, we’ll explore the following questions in a conversation with AI Ethics experts from Microsoft and IBM:
- What does responsible innovation look like at technology companies? How do they approach it
- What practical tools are technology companies using to integrate ethical considerations into company culture and processes? How can these be scaled to work for an NGO?What are some of the practical examples and lessons learned?
- How do you create transparency and accountability that makes responsible innovation possible at every level of the organization?
- How do you engage internal and external stakeholders across the whole technology cycle, from the initial design to its ultimate end use?
- How do you balance business objectives with responsible innovation?
We invite you to share with us your questions in advance of the webinar. Please email your questions to Leila Toplic.
Leila Toplic, Lead for Emerging Technologies Initiative, NetHope
Francesca Rossi, IBM fellow and AI Ethics Global Leader, IBM
Steve Sweetman, Principal Program Manager, Ethics & Society Center, Microsoft