The ICT4D Conference 2017 announced Thursday that Jayant Sinha, Minister of Civil Aviation of India, a Member of Indian Parliament, and formerly Minister of State for Finance, is confirmed as keynote speaker for the event that will run from May 15-18 in Hyderabad, India.
Prior to becoming a Member of Parliament in India in 2014, Sinha served as a partner at Omidyar Network, an investment firm with over $730 million in invested capital, where he led their overall investment strategy and operations in India. Sinha worked for several years earlier in his career as a Managing Director at global special situations hedge fund Courage Capital and spent 12 years as a partner at McKinsey & Company in their Boston and Delhi offices, where he co-led the global Software and IT Services practice.
Educated at Harvard Business School, University of Pennsylvania and the Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi, Sinha is noted for several articles he has written, including “Strategies That Fit Emerging Markets,” that are frequently quoted and used as reference materials in academic settings.
This year’s conference will discuss how to harness the power of data to achieve the UN Sustainable Development Goals, not just in light of the transformation to Digital India but through best practices from across the globe, especially in agriculture, health, education, financial inclusion, disaster management, data strategy, and partnerships.
Attracting a diverse and international audience of over 1000 senior program managers, technical advisors and executives, the event offers a unique range of practical insights on applying technology to development challenges. Highly interactive and hands-on, the conference will host a map gallery and an exhibition where product innovations will be demonstrated first hand.
The top themes of the plenary sessions include:
• The impact of digital transformation on development
• Innovations in data visualization and analytics
• Enablers and barriers to open data sharing
• Frontier solutions and their contribution to meeting the SDGs
Keynote and plenary speakers from government, international and Indian NGOs, private and civil society organizations include the following ICT and development experts and global thought leaders:
- Jayant Sinha, Minister of Civil Aviation of India
- Rebecca Moore, Director of Engineering, Google Earth, Earth Engine & Earth Outreach, Google
- Neil Sahota, IBM Master Inventor, IBM Watson Group
- Anil Bhansali, Managing Director, Microsoft India (R&D), General Manager, Cloud and Enterprise, Microsoft India Development Center
- Lauren Woodman, Chief Executive Officer, NetHope
- Schuyler Thorup, Executive Vice President, Overseas Operations, Catholic Relief Services
- Cherian Thomas, Chief Executive Officer, World Vision India
- Kate Wilson, Chief Executive Officer, Digital Impact Alliance (DIAL)
- Frederic Pivetta, Co-Founder & Managing Partner, Dalberg Data Insights
- Radha Basu, Chief Executive Officer, iMerit Technology Services
- Chuck Conley, Non-profit and Global Organizations Account Manager, Environmental Systems Research Institute (Esri)
- Dr. David Bergvinson, Director General, International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT)
- Dipak Basu, Chief Executive Officer, Anudip Foundation
- Michael Duggan, Chief Information Officer (Global), Oxfam International
- Dr. Emmanuel Letouzé, Director & Co-Founder, Data Pop Alliance
- Dr. Shadrock Roberts, Director of Resilience Programs, Ushahidi
- Tyler Radford, Senior Manager, Humanitarian Open Street Map Team (HOT)
- Rhiannan Price, Senior Manager, Seeing a Better World Program, DigitalGlobe
Over 200 speakers are confirmed for the eight conference tracks on Agriculture and Environment, Health, Education and Livelihoods, Disaster Management, Digital Financial Inclusion, Partnerships & Collaborative Solutions, and Data Analysis and Strategy; and the Executive Session.
More speakers are to be confirmed. Please visit ict4dconference.org for more information and updates.
The conference is expected to be attended by over 1000 representatives of non-governmental agencies, private sector companies, multi-lateral and government agencies, academic and research institutions, and aid and development funding organizations. As previous ICT4D Conferences have always sold out, secure your place now and register via the conference website.
To enquire about exhibition stands or personalized networking opportunities, please email Sonja Ruetzel.