NetHope's Emerging Technologies Initiative is a sector-wide approach to integrating AI, blockchain, and other emerging technologies in humanitarian, development, and conservancy work.
The initiative is focused on growing NGO’s internal expertise and capacity to evaluate, develop, procure, and use emerging technologies in their work so they can make informed decisions, do their work better, anticipate issues that might arise from emerging technologies like AI and blockchain, and ensure that people in need are aware of the technologies that affect them and their communities.
The Initiative focuses on three areas as identified by NetHope members:
- Capacity building via workshops, webinars, conferences, and the NetHope Solutions Center featuring practical information about AI/ML capabilities, tools & services, and lessons learned from implementations in humanitarian, development and conservation contexts.
- Practical toolkits & standards that are designed to support responsible, sustainable and consistent implementation of AI/ML in the social impact space, and scaling of the most promising programs, processes, and methodologies.
- Support for practical implementations in the form of facilitating access to technical expertise and resources (product and funding).
The key component to a successful initiative is the involvement of individuals and organizations actively working on AI/ML and blockchain technologies, as well as NGOs who know the problems that need to be solved, contexts that need to be planned for, and barriers that need to be overcome to make ethical and widespread adoption possible. If you are interested in supporting this initiative, please contact us.
GLOBAL DIGITAL DEVELOPMENT FORUM (May 6, 2020)
- Slide deck: How to Achieve Inclusive and Trustworthy Digital ID
- Slide deck: How To Get Started With AI
- Slide deck: Meeting Urgent Needs With Chatbots
- NEW - Article: AI Ethics: 5 Considerations for Nonprofits
- NEW - Announcing the new AI Suitability Toolkit for Nonprofits, please review this blog post.
- Recap of AI for Good discussions at NetHope Summit 2019, please review this blog post.
- Recap of AI for Good discussions at NetHope Summit 2018, please review this blog post.
NEW - AI Ethics webinar series
- AI Primer webinar
- Get your data ready for AI
- Lessons learned from practical implementations of AI in the international development sector, featuring CRS and Compassion International.
- Lessons learned from practical implementations of AI in field programs and internal operations, featuring Plan International and The Carter Center.
- Lessons learned from practical implementations of AI in conservation contexts, featuring The Nature Conservancy and Carnegie Mellon University.
- Demos of AI/ML Tools and Services by AWS, Google, Microsoft and Salesforce.org
Digital Identity and Digital Currencies
- Impact of Digital Currencies on the Nonprofit Sector
- Achieving ‘Good’ Digital ID at Scale with Technical Requirements
- Digital Identity in the Humanitarian Space
Reports and papers
- NEW - Exploring Fairness in Machine Learning for International Development by MIT D-Lab, with the support from USAID
- Accelerating social good with artificial intelligence: Insights from the Google AI Impact Challenge
- USAID: Reflecting the Past, Shaping the Future: Making AI Work for International Development
- McKinsey: Applying artificial intelligence for social good
- Outcome document from Blockchain for Social Good Event co-hosted by NetHope and ICSC in New York (March, 2019)
If you work for a NetHope member organization you can access additional information on the AI Working Group page (login required).