In a recent NetHope Solutions Center webinar, Jesús Pizarro joined us to share some of the many lessons learned while implementing an enterprise resource plan (ERP) during his almost eight years at Heifer International. His presentation, Financial Reports: Empower Staff and Improve Trust with Funders, emphasized the benefits and successes that Heifer has enjoyed implementing their ERP with Unit4.
Heifer International is an NGO dedicated to eradicating global hunger. Pizarro explained that using the pro-poor approach, a development strategy that prioritizes increasing the income levels of those in poverty, Heifer works toward their goal by empowering farmers with resources at the community level. Their programming emphasizes social capital, women’s empowerment and self-determination, and includes access to the marketplace. With the new ERP, Heifer improved transparent financial reporting across the organization, lowered overhead, streamlined efficiencies, and enjoys greater trust with their funders.
- The core challenges and signs of irrelevancy that can be addressed by an ERP: why doing nothing is not an option.
- Pizarro’s illustration of the ERP roll-out timeline, complete with benchmarks.
- Outcome data of increased efficiency, and lower operation costs.
- The increased ability to respond instantly to emergencies anywhere.
- Key factors of a successful management information system rollout; tone of organizational leadership, standardization of business process and training.
- The benefits of transparent financial reports.
- The benefits of Fund Accounting.
- Foreign currency management is critical for an international NGO.
View the webinar recording that includes an extensive Q&A session:
A PDF of Mr. Pizarro’s presentation slides, and collateral material for Financial Reports: Empower Staff & Improve Trust with Funders can be found on the webinar landing page.
About Jesús Pizarro:
Jesús M. Pizarro Rodríguez is a Certified Public Accountant (CPA), and the Vice President of Accounting and Controller of Heifer International. In that role, he supervises accounting and global financial consolidation, as well as providing leadership of the Unit4 Business World (Agresso) in over 30 countries. Recently, Mr. Pizarro published the book “Lessons Learned from an ERP: From the perspective of international accounting of an international NGO.”